If you are a weight watcher then you must include flax seeds in your daily diet. Flax seeds are not only a low carbs food, also it has high fiber and antioxidant properties. Flax seed do have Omega 3 Fatty acids.
What is Flax seeds?
Flax seeds are the seeds from a flowering plant called Linum usitatissimum. They’re grown like a grain – such as wheat or barley – even though they’re not a grain. When they’re harvested, a pod is removed from each flower. This pod contains the flax seeds that we consume.
You will be able to find 2 type of flax seeds in market – Yellow and Brown. While yellow one has slightly more protein, Brown flax seeds are rich in Omega-3 fatty acids. Flax seeds are also available in whole grain, pills and oil form.
Flax seeds for Weight Loss
Flax seeds are high fiber food, which is difficult to digest, it might pass right through your system; but you will not like to miss out the following weight loss benefits of flax seeds.
- High Fiber source : Since flax seeds are high in fiber, it makes you feel full for a longer time and you will restrict yourself from over eating or munching. All this will lead to healthy weight loss.
- Flax seeds are a plant source of Omega-3 fatty acids: Alpha-Linolenic Acid (ALA) is a plant based omega -3 fatty acid which is found in Flax seeds. This healthy fat has the ability to suppress appetite . Control your hunger and you will be less eating any unhealthy food.
- Flax seeds have antioxidants: It has antioxidant called lignans, they directly not connected to weight loss but they enhance cell function as your body burns fat.
- Low Carb : Flax seed are low carb food. It’s low in starch and sugar, so it won’t pack on the calories
- Plant Protein : Flax seed has 20% plant protein, you may have the same if you are a vegetarian. Protein like fiber make you feel fill and you can control your over eating.
How to use Flax seeds for weight loss :
Flax seeds can be added in baked food, added in pasta for a little more crunch. Flax seed can be eaten as whole grain. It can be mixed in oatmeal, pore on top of toast, mixed in yogurt, smoothies, salads, souces and chicken or fish.
Ways to Include Flaxseed into Your Diet
1. Drinks infused with Flax Seeds benefits in your weight loss journey. Including a flaxseed-infused beverage, which can support you to stay full and enhance healthy digestion.
Here’s an easy recipe:
- Take a1 teaspoon of freshly pre-ground flaxseed
- Take 1 lemon wedge
- Have 6 to 8 ounces of hot water
Instructions: a. Try to combine freshly pre-ground flaxseed into hot water and ensure to stir thoroughly. Make sure to squeeze the lemon wedge into the hot drink for some added flavor and a dose of vitamin C. Consumption of such beverages once a day as an addition to your weight loss regimen.
2. Flaxseed Oral Supplements
In order to have a convenient choice, make sure to use flaxseed oral supplements that consist of pressed flaxseed oil. Such supplements have the least amount of fiber as compared to raw flax seeds but can complement your weight loss strategy efficiently when consumed once a day.
3. Flaxseed Tea
Yield the benefits of a soothing cup of flaxseed tea to add to your weight loss objectives.
An easy way of how to prepare it:
- Have 1 tablespoon of flaxseed powder
- A Cinnamon
- Some Honey (to taste)
- Take 1.5 cups of water
Instructions: Try to boil a cup of water in a tea pan for 2-3 minutes. Take a pinch of cinnamon along with the flaxseed powder to be added to the water, and keep on boiling for further 5-8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Turn off the flame and strain the prepared liquid. Sweeten such a mixture with honey to your liking. The flaxseed tea is now ready for consumption.